I am a search marketer in the travel sector, I have to confess I don’t know as much about travel as I should. I have traveled and I like holidays! I also know how the travel industry infrastructure works and how to make that work on large scale e-commerce sites.
We are all obsessed about improving site conversion. Focusing on qualifying visitors and introducing them to the right landing pages. Then tweaking and MVT’ing those pages to get the conversion/continuance/reduce bounce improvements we seek.
Sometimes, it is easy to forget that the basics of marketing. You need to have the right PROMOTION, the right PLACE (site), but you need the right PRODUCTs at the right PRICE.
In the last couple of years due to the global macro-economic buying and traveling patterns have changed. So, ensuring you are promoting via marketing through to merchandising on-site the right destinations for the country you are selling in is essential. Then with the right essentials/extras/package at a price that the consumer will pay.
If you are running either a SEM or SEO campaign we too should be promoting the destinations that will actually sell. That is the only way that you will be prioritising your resources and getting those incrementally efficient sales. Being no.1 for a destination nobody is searching for it good, but pointless.
So, how do you find out what those trends are:
- Your colleagues. There will always be experts. Either other marketers with a passion and/or those who are located in the market
- Trading trends – watch the growers and the falling stars metrics in your internal data
- Google – you have to have a suspicion – but you then can confirm it with products like Google Insights
- Attend Briefings / Conferences & Events from industry experts
- Official tourist boards and EU data sources
- Blogs of personalities or figure heads
Here are some of my RSS subscriptions favourites this week
- European Travel Commission and their latest report Trends in Travel
- As an industry digest – Hotel Marketing
- Industry expert commentary and intelligence provider – Phocuswright
- The hospitality wide trends trade journal – Hospitality trends
There are plenty others, but here are just the sites that I have read today and worth a note.
My pet hate is when you get so obsessed with a small increment you MAY miss the big picture. Always look for the bigger trends in travel.