I am a people manager, and I have a manager. I am sure most people who stumble across these ramblings are one or the other or both. In a recent conversations about this topic with a number of colleagues past and present I compiled these lists
Having worked for some excellent managers, some OK, and unluckily historically some bad managers this intrigued me into thinking about Me, how I act and am perceived by immediate reports, peers and virtual teams.
So, I thought I would share somes notes. I am sure I am opening myself up for ton of abuse from people who know me, but would be fascinated in hearing what you think I should add to these categories.
Good traits in a people manager/team leader
- Accessible & Personable
- Knowledgeable and can communicate it
- Respected and shows respects to other
- Open & Honest
- Fair & Consistent
- 1-2-1’s are on time and add value
- Timely feedback
- Awards credit when it is due
- Receives feedback
- Cares about Me
What traits makes a bad people manager?
- Vague (in all forms)
- Personality misfit, lacks social skills
- Unrealistic targets or expectations
- Picks on employees
- Pits 1 employee against another
- Changes their mind all of the time
- Lies (especially when they say publicly different things to what they advise you)
And then, being the thinking type I am and trying to be fair.
There are on occasions when circumstances or the environment can make this hard or fall straight to the bad category. It is possible to have a circumstance that your manager is under orders, or a company culture actually puts up barriers you and them being a good manager. These could be:
Excuses for being a bad people manager!
- Development opportunities as reward/goals are limited by the company
- Office politics
- Changing orgs and re-orgs
- Communications styles are dictated by a higher power
- Fear and Fears
- Lack of knowledge
- Lack of experience in being a people manager
- Time/Prioritisation imposed upon them
- And I am sure the list goes on
What do you think?
Opinions welcome. Unless you are in one of my teams! Then “SHUT UP and DO SOME WORK!”